Monday, July 11, 2016

SuperHero Baby Quilt

Are you ready for this?
I've received more compliments on this quilt than any other.  It's loved by men and mothers and little boys around the country.  

So my sister was having a baby, her first one.  I've been waiting for this moment for years so I could make her a baby quilt.  She found out she was having a boy and she sent me a picture of a quilt she found on pinterest and asked me to use than as inspiration for a quilt for her baby.  

Here's what I did: 

I know. I know.  You comic book people have a problem. I mixed the Marvel and DC characters together.  It's okay.  I did it on purpose. My sister and her husband picked their 6 favorite superheros.

I appliqued each logo.  We have 

Captain America

Spider-man


 Batman (my personal favorite...)


 The Green Lantern


Iron-man




And last but not least, Superman.



One of my favorite features of this quilt is the quilting in the setting squares.  I stole the idea from old school comic books. 

BAM!


SMASH!


ZAP!


POW!


WHAM!


and BANG!

The border was quilted with continuous stars.


For the back I found this awesome coordinating fabric, in flannel of course, because I back all of my sleeping quilts with flannel. 

It's the printed names of all the avengers.  The colors matched perfectly!  

There you have it.  I'm rather proud of this one.  

♥Holli

9 comments:

  1. WOW!!! I LOVE your quilt!!! Did you use any particular quilt pattern, or was it just whatever inspiration you felt? What size are your blocks? It is truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The the blocks are 12" finished.
    The inspiration for this quilt started with a much simpler one found on Pinterest. It was nice but not my style. I added dark sashing to help the colors pop more. I made the logos the focus and the stitching of old comic book "bam" etc was result of a sudden ah-ha moment. I tried to stick with bold colors and boyish fabrics to make it "manly" as possible.

    I'm glad you like it. This is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I find out where you found the material of the symbols of the superheros? My daughter is having a boy and wants a similar blanket but only with four symbols but I cannot find the materials of the symbols.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am only looking for batman, spider man, captain america and superman.

      Delete
    2. Julie,
      I made the symbols myself, I just bought the closest matching fabrics I could find and some pellon wonder under appliqué interfacing and drew the symbols (reversed) and appliqués the pieces together. The one fabric with multiple batman symbols in the 4 square blocks I found at Walmart and all the other fabrics were purchased at Joanns.

      Delete
    3. Julie,
      I made the symbols myself, I just bought the closest matching fabrics I could find and some pellon wonder under appliqué interfacing and drew the symbols (reversed) and appliqués the pieces together. The one fabric with multiple batman symbols in the 4 square blocks I found at Walmart and all the other fabrics were purchased at Joanns.

      Delete
  4. Okay i'm trying to figure out the amount of block lay out .. your finished square is 12 inches .. this is a 10" inch block with a 2" in sashing (2".5") You used ..3 blocks of finished 12". Now it sash between each row of the 12" finished block is 2".5" .. I would need to have cut 5 . for the 4 blocks going down.. that is 2.5 X 36"... which gives a length of 48" ..then for the border.. you used different colors for the border . and what are the size of each colored did you use... I am trying to figure.. I"am sorry wished you would have put the directions on this little quilt.. the amount of fabric as well of how it is cut and sewed together.. You did a awesome job .. it's really cute !! Please help me ..I want to make this for a nephew that he and wife are having alittle boy and when he was little he loved super hero's .. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you make these to sell at all? Etsy page, maybe (please say yes!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you have to get any approvals from the Marvel corporation to use their fabric?

      Delete